Sunday, June 27, 2010

The beginning




Ive decided to start a blog about our Elimination Communication journey the second time around.
We did ECing with our oldest son who is now 2 years 9 months. We started when he was 2 months old.
I am not sure now why I was looking it up but I came across this website Tribal Baby. I was quite excited that I could communicate better with my baby. And I really could. The more we did ECing the easier it became to see what L needed before he would get upset. Once we began to see all the signs of his toileting needs it was great. That period between 2 and 6 months I was quite good at it, and rarely had a miss, even away from home and at night. The times we did use nappies it was modern cloth nappies. I knew about those before L was born, but only started using them at 2 months. Before that it was gross disposables.
To start with we would just take L to the bathroom sink (or hold him over the potty) after feeds, and after waking. It didn't take long before we knew he needed to go. His obvious sign was that he would get very squirmy and fidgety. Around this time it was nearly summer so L could go completely nappy free at home. While he wasn't moving much this was great. But once he could move himself around on his tummy in a circle about 4 months this could get rather messy at times, if I wasn't quick enough.
Once crawling happened just before 6 months it did become harder to pick up the signs, but we got there 99% of the time. By now we always just had a potty in the lounge room. After around 3-4 months L would occasionally crawl to the potty when he needed to go and I helped him get on it. It was starting to get colder again now, so baby legs were our friend, and we used them often. I didn't bother with nappies at home unless I was having a bad day, and didn't feel I could get that communication with him. I did find though he would get very upset if he needed to go and I wasn't getting him to the potty fast enough. If I didn't take him he would eventually go in his nappy (or the floor if he wasn't wearing one) I did put nappies on him when going out though.
Once L was 14 months old, I decided to do away with nappies completely. Yes it was hard and we did have misses, but not often. After around 6 months of taking L to the toilet when we noticed his signs, he would always take himself to the potty for poos 100% of the time and wees nearly all of the time. We did still get the odd wee on the floor, but nothing major. Once L reached 2 and a bit I showed him how to wee standing up, yes it was a bit weird LOL, but his daddy didn't seem to want to show him what to do, so I did it. Then came taking himself to the big toilet every time he needed to go. And this is what happens even now. Although since his brother arrived nearly a month ago now, he has occasionally not taken himself to the toilet for a wee, also he started weeing at night occasionally. He does wear a cloth nappy to bed at night, but its only sometimes wet in the morning. I am not worried. I am happy about how our journey turned out. I am quite excited to be doing it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment